About Kamloops, Canada
Kamloops is a city located in south-central British Columbia, Canada. It is strategically located at the confluence of the North and South Thompson Rivers near Kamloops. The city is ranked 37th among the 100 largest metropolitan cities in Canada, and is among the most populated cities in the country. Kamloops is one of upcoming travel destinations in Canada, and tourism contributes significant revenue to the city.
Popular Destinations in Kamloops
Kamloops boasts of various tourist attractions ranging from golf courses, snowballing destinations and mountain biking as well as hiking trails. Here are some of the top picks visitors can enjoy:
BC Wildlife Park: This expansive park is home to several species of animals including bears, cougars, mountain goats, moose, snakes, bighorn sheep, owls and lynx, just to name a few. It is a good travel destination for those who are traveling with little kids, as there are designated areas for kids including a petting zoo, a splash park and miniature train ride.
Secwepemec Museum and Heritage Park: This destination provides an insight into the history and culture of the Shuwap people. Storytelling is an important aspect of this tribe and at the museum – visitors can learn about several legends and tales that were passed down from many generations before. The Heritage Park can be accessed through pit houses that were used by the Shuwap during the winter. The balancing rock is connected to the Coyote, also a Secwepemec (First Nation) legend.
Kamloops Heritage Railway: At the Kamloops Heritage Railway, visitors can board a steam powered train that will take them back in time to learn more about the history of the city. The train is operational each year between May and December, and features costumed staff that transport guests to the city’s past on a scenic tour.
Tobiano Golf Course: This is undoubtedly one of the most iconic golf courses in the city with several awards affixed to its name. There are also scenic views of Kamloops Lake that can be enjoyed at this golf course.
Support Peaks Resort: This is a family oriented resort that boasts of state-of-the-art skiing and snowboarding facilities. There are numerous trails for skating, dog sledding as well as tubing. For summertime visitors, activities can include golfing, hiking and mountain biking.
Harper Mountain: Located only 20 minutes away from Kamloops city, Harper Mountain is the ideal destination for family fun. Whether it is a skiing newbie or skiing pro, there is something for everyone. Facilities here include the lift operated Snow Town Tube, the Terrain Park and a log lodge.
Luxury Lodging in Kamloops
Kamloops has a fewer number of luxury lodgings, but these facilities below are well rated by travelers, and are considered to be among the best in Kamloops:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Kamloops
- Hotel 540
- Lac Le Jeune Resort & Nature Center
- Sandman Signature Kamloops Hotel
- The Residences at Sun Peaks Grand
Airports In or Nearby Kamloops
Seeking a private jet charter to Kamloops, Canada? There are several airports that can be used when traveling to and from Kamloops by private jet or chartered aircraft. Some of these include:
- Kamloops Airport (YKA): Kamloops Airport is also known as the Fulton Field Airport. It is a regional airport situated around 5 miles away from Kamloops. The airport sits at an elevation of 1,133 feet above sea level, and has two asphalt runways measuring 8,000 feet and 2,800 feet in length. It records an average of 38,000 aircraft movements a year, and has a passenger turnover of 300,000 a year. Facilities including hangar rentals and aircraft maintenance are provided by third party operators at the airport.
- Merritt Airport (YMB): This is also known as the Saunders Field Airport. It is a local airport located around 50 miles from Kamloops. The airport is run by the city of Merritt, and is situated at an altitude of 2,000 feet above sea level. The airport has a single asphalt runway measuring 4,000 feet in length. It is an ideal airport for private aircraft users on account of ease of use and availability of resources including hangar rentals.
- Salmon Arm Airport (YSN): The Salmon Arm Airport is located 73 miles from Kamloops. It is a local public airport situated at an elevation of around 1,800 feet above sea level. It has a single asphalt runway measuring 4,200 feet in length. It is commonly used by private aircraft owners on account of affordable hangar rentals as well as availability of services such as aircraft maintenance and fuelling services.
- Kelowna International Airport (YLW): Kelowna International Airport is located 100 miles away from Kamloops. The Public airport is operated by the city of Kelowna and sits at an elevation of 1,500 feet above sea level. It has a single asphalt runway measuring 8,900 feet in length. An average of 80,000 aircraft movements are recorded at the facility every year. The airport serves more than 1.5 million passengers a year.
- Vancouver International Airport (YVR): Vancouver Airport is located more than 100 miles from Kamloops. However, the fact that it’s a major international airport means that visitors to Kamloops are likely to go through it especially if using commercial air travel services. The airport has three concrete and asphalt runways measuring between 7,000 and 11,000 feet in length as well as three helipads. It records an average of 300,000 aircraft movements a year and serves 19 million passengers annually.
- Abbotsford International Airport (YXX): This airport is located more than 100 miles away from Kamloops, but the transportation infrastructure between it and the city makes it easy to commute between the two. The airport is located at an elevation of 200 feet above sea level and has two asphalt runways measuring 9,500 and 5,300 feet in length. Abbotsford International Airport has an average of 110,000 aircraft movements a year.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Kamloops?