About Chengdu, China
Chengdu is the capital of Sichuan province in Southwest China. The city is a vital industrial, transportation, cultural, and commerce center in China. It is also the 5th most densely populated city in China, and boasts a great number of heritage sites. Chengdu also features the oldest existing irrigation project in the world. Although the region enjoys moist and mild weather for the most parts of the year, the best time to explore the city is March to June as well as from September to November.
Popular Destinations in Chengdu
There are many unique destinations and attractions to discover in Chengdu, including:
Jinsha Relics Museum: Well known for its huge collection of relics of the Jinsha Village dating back to the Zhou dynasty (1046-225B.C.) and Shang dynasty (1600-1046B.C.), this is a must-visit museum. A great number of other archaeological finds from the region are also exhibited here. Relics on display include jade, gold and ivory pieces.
Mount Qingcheng: Located in southwest Dujiangyan in Sichuan Province and facing the Chengdu Plain is Mount Qingcheng. The mountain rises over 1200 meters and is world famous for its 36 distinct peaks and its strong roots for China’s Taoism. The UNESCO World Heritage listed mountain has numerous caves and temples spread across the area.
Chengdu Research Base for Giant Panda Breeding: This is a unique facility that is engaged in protecting, researching and breeding of wildlife, particularly the giant pandas. The base was founded in 1987 and started with only six giant pandas that had been rescued from the wild. Covering an area of over 100 hectares, the base today is home to over 110 captive giant pandas, the largest group of pandas found anywhere in the world. There are also several other endangered species such as the golden monkey and red panda that call the research base their home.
Dujiangyan Irrigation System: This distinct irrigation system is situated on the Min River in Sichuan Province and was constructed by Li Bing, the Governor of Qin State in 256 B.C. during the China’s Warring States period of 476-221 B.C. With a history dating back over 2,200 years, it is the only surviving ancient hydro-power project in the world and that features diversions without a dam. The irrigation system is still in use today and helps irrigate over 500 000 hectares of the region’s land.
Xiling Snow Mountain: Covering an area of over 37000 hectares is the Xiling Snow Mountain, a national scenic resort that is situated 59 miles west of Chengdu. Miaojiling, the main peak stands at slightly over 5300 meters above sea level, and is snowcapped all year round. Home to a great number of endangered animal and plant species, rare bird species, a wide variety of flowers and primeval forests, this is a top rated destination in Chengdu region. Apart from this, the mountain range is also perfect for hang gliding, hot-air balloon rides, water skiing, grass skating, sledging and skiing.
Luxury Lodging in Chengdu
Chengdu has a large number of accommodation facilities to cater for the rising demand in hospitality services. Some of the options include:
- California Garden Hotel
- Celebrity City Hotel
- Chengdu Renheng Fraser Suites
- Crowne Plaza Chengdu City Center
- Hotel Mercure Chengdu North
- InterContinental Century City Chengdu
- Kempinski Hotel Chengdu
- Millennium Hotel Chengdu
- Minyoun Central Hotel
- Oakwood Residence Funder Chengdu
- Rhombus Fantasia Chengdu Hotel
- Shangri-la hotel Chengdu
- Sheraton Chengdu Lido Hotel
- Sofitel Wanda Chengdu Hotel
- Somerset River View Serviced Residence
- The Diaoyutai Boutique Chengdu
- The Ritz-Carlton, Chengdu
- The St. Regis Chengdu
- Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace
Airports In or Nearby Chengdu
In need of a private jet charter to Chengdu, China? Chengdu is one of the most important transportation and financial centers in Western China. Thus, there are many airports serving this city. Some of the nearest airports include:
- Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport (CTU): Located approximately 11 miles away from Chengdu, the international airport is operated by Sichuan Province Airport Group Co.,Ltd. The airport facilitates flights to more than 150 domestic airports and over 45 international destinations. With two concrete runways in the 02R/20L and 02L/20R directions, the airport’s newest terminal is able to accommodate more than 3,000 passengers per hour.
- Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport (CKG): Located approximately 13 miles away from Chongqing’s city centre, the international airport has two operational terminals and a third one is underway. Two runways are currently opened in the airport and they are each made of asphalt (02L/20R) and concrete (02R/20L).
- Mianyang Nanjiao Airport (MIG): Located less than 80 miles from Chengdu, the domestic airport is the second largest in Sichuan and is able to handle more than 200,000 aircraft operations per year. The airport has a single asphalt runway in the 14/32 direction.
- Yibin Caiba Airport (YBP): Located less than 180 miles from Chengdu, Yibin Caiba is a domestic and joint civil-military airport. The airport is able to serve more than 250,000 passengers per year and has one runway.
- Luzhou Lantian Airport (LZO): Located less than 200 miles from Chengdu, Luzhou Lantian is a domestic airport that has a single concrete runway in the 07/25 direction. It also offers flights to destinations such as Changsa, Nanjing, Hangzhou as well as the capital of Beijing.
- Kangding Airport (KGT): Located approximately 230 miles from the city of Chengdu, the domestic airport sits at an elevation of more than 14,000 feet above mean sea level. It also has one concrete runway which is used by airlines such as Sichuan Airlines, Lucky Air and China Eastern Airlines.
- Xichang Qingshan Airport (XIC): Located approximately 300 miles from Chengdu, the local airport has a single concrete runway in the 18/36 direction and stands at an elevation of more than 5,000 feet above mean sea level. Airlines such as China Eastern Airlines, Air China, Xiamen Airlines and Sichuan Airlines are based here at the airport.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Chengdu?