About Bologna, Italy
Bologna is a lively historical city located in Emilia-Romagna region of Italy. It is the seventh most populated city in the country, with an estimated population of one million people. The history of the city can be traced back to 1000 BC when it was first inhabited. It is home to the University of Bologna, the oldest in the world. Besides being one of the richest cities nationwide, Bologna has managed to establish herself as an important cultural, historical and artistic center.
Popular Destinations in Bologna
Bologna features plenty of attractions which can provide visitors with unforgettable experiences and memories. Popular travel destinations in the city include:
San Luca: The Sanctuary of the Basilica of San Luca is located on a hilltop and requires a hike to access the long portico measuring two miles with 666 arcades. Some of the arcades here date back to the eleventh century.
Museum of the History of Bologna: The museum is housed inside Palazzo Pepoli and was once home to prominent families of Bologna. The museum is primarily focused on familiarizing visitors with the entire history of the city from the days when the Etruscan settled here to Roman Bononia and their rise to power to modern day Bologna.
Galleria Cavour: It houses upscale stores of some of the top fashion brands in Italy, including Armani, Fendi, Gucci, and Prada among others.
Palazzo d’Accursio: This is a palace located at Palazzo Maggiore. Until 2008, the palace was used as the city hall. Today, the palace houses the Museo Murandi and Civic Art Collection. The former pays tribute to the work of Giorgio Murandi while the latter is home to paintings dating back to the Middle Ages and all the way to the nineteenth century.
Bologna Museum of Modern Art: The Bologna Museum of Modern Art opened its doors to the public in May 2007, and its collection has grown ever since. Located in the heart of Bologna city, the museum was designed to house modern and experimental art. Although it is now an independent entity, the Bologna Museum of Modern used to be a flagship of the Bologna Gallery of Modern Art, which was established in 1925. Its life as a separate entity began in 1990s, when the collections of the Bologna Gallery of Modern Art became so huge that new premises to house contemporary art collections had to be built.
International Museum and Library of Music of Bologna: This museum was established in 1959 with the purpose of showcasing Bologna’s musical heritage under the name Civico Museo Bibliografico Musicale. It was renamed the International Museum and Library of Music in Bologna in 2004 when it was relocated to Palazzo Sanguinetti.
Luxury Lodging in Bologna
As it is considered one of the major tourist hubs in the country, Bologna has a number of high quality hotels available. Some of the most popular of these include:
- Al Cappello Rosso
- Corona d’Oro Hotel
- Grand Hotel Majestic Già Baglioni
- Grand Hotel Majestic già Baglioni
- Hotel La Cartiera – Vignola Village Resort
- Hotel Novecento
- I Portici Hotel & Restaraunt
- Palazzo di Varignana Resort & Spa
- Royal Hotel Carlton
- Savoia Hotel Regency
Restaurants in Bologna
1 Michelin star:
Airports In or Nearby Bologna
Interested in renting a private aircraft to Bologna, Italy? Bologna is an Italian city that is served by only one main airport. However, there are airports that are further out that you can use to access this city:
- Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport (BLQ): This is the seventh busiest international airport in Italy and serves the city of Bologna. It is named after Guglielmo Marconi, who was a Bologna native and Nobel laureate. The airport has one runway that is made from bituminous conglomerate material and is designated in the 12/30 direction.
- Ravenna Airport (RAN): Located 51 miles away from Bologna, this airport serves the locality of Ravenna and has one asphalt runway. It’s also the nearest airport to Bologna other than the Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport.
- Parma Airport (PMF): The international airport is located conveniently in the centre of northern Italy and has an airport capacity of 695 pax per hour. It has one asphalt runway that is designated in the 02/20 direction.
- Florence Airport (FLR): It is the international airport of Florence which is the capital of Tuscany. Florence Airport is relatively small and contains one asphalt runway. Due to the limited space, landing planes will have turn around at the end of the runway, then taxi back down to the runway before they can get to the terminal and parking area.
- Verona Villafranca Airport (VRN): Villafranca Airport is an airport located 3.1 miles southwest of Verona, Italy. It was constructed to serve a population of more than four million inhabitants of provinces such Mantua, Brescia and Verona. The airport has one runway made from bituminous and a helipad made from concrete. It is also equipped with a fog-dispersal device to allow flight operations to remain unaffected in low visibility conditions.
- Venice Marco Polo Airport (VCE): Located 4.9 miles north of the city in Tessera, Venice Marco Polo is the fifth busiest airport in Italy. It has a terminal that handles all charter and scheduled flights to Asia, the Middle East and North America. The airport has two runways that are made from asphalt and bitumen respectively.
- Federico Fellini International Airport (RMI): Operated by AiRiminum, the airport houses the head office of Air Vallée. It does not offer domestic flights, but offers seasonal charter flights to destinations outside of Italy instead. The airport also features one asphalt-concrete runway.
- Pisa International Airport (PSA): Located in Pisa, Italy, this is the main airport in Tuscany. With two asphalt runways, the airport is capable of handling over four million passengers per year. The airport is also used by the Italian Air Force as a base for transport aircraft such as the C-27J Spartan and C-130 Hercules.
- Cervia Airport (LIPC): Located 55 miles away from the Bologna Guglielmo Marconi Airport, this airport is an air base for the Italian Air Force and has one asphalt runway. It is also the home base for the 5th Stormo Caccia Intercettori.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Bologna?