About Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland has a population of approximately 1.4 million people, and is the most populous and largest urban city in New Zealand. Auckland came in at third place in The 2014 Mercer Quality of Living Survey. Also known as the City Of Sails, visitors will be able to experience cool Pacific-style multiculturalism, discover hip cafes and amazing black sand beaches. Many visitors flock to Auckland every year for its diverse range of attractions, which include the Waitemata Harbour, Sky Tower, Auckland Art Gallery and Stardome Observatory.
Popular Destinations in Auckland
Being one of the major tourist hubs in the country, Auckland offers many tourist attractions. Some of the most popular ones include:
Waitemata Harbour: One of Auckland’s most prominent natural features, the wide extent of Waitemata Harbour slices the city into two, and the highly navigable waterway allows the city to be New Zealand’s economic powerhouse. There’s much to do here including hopping on yacht charters for fishing, going on a whale and dolphin safari as well as taking a ferry to explore nearby islands.
Auckland Sky Tower: Standing at 328 meters high, the city’s needle-like Sky Tower is a very prominent landmark in Auckland. This is the perfect place for visitors to take panoramic shots with their cameras. Visitors will have to take the tower’s glass elevator to reach to the top of the building which houses the observation deck. Favorite activities here include walking on the exterior Sky Walk platform that circles the tower’s pergola and base-jumping off the platform.
Auckland Art Gallery: For those visitors looking to get an artistic fix from one of the city’s most impressive cultural and artistic sites, then the Auckland Art Gallery is an ideal attraction. The museum is housed in an awe-inspiring French Renaissance-style structure that was first constructed in the 1880s. The museum is home to an extensive art collection and displays more than 15,000 artworks.
Kaipara Coast Sculpture Gardens: Located just north of Auckland, this attraction will allow visitors to take a marvelous break from the city. While walking down the manicured garden trail, visitors will get to see an interesting array of sculptural art that is ever-changing, as well as native fauna.
Museum of Transport and Technology: Located in the Western Springs district, the museum is devoted to the country’s history of transport and technology. The museum’s prized exhibits showcase the country’s aviation pioneer, Richard Pearse. Visitors will also get to see vintage cars, trams, railroad rolling stock and old coaches.
West Coast Beaches: There are beautiful and breathtaking beaches on the west coast. However, visitors should be wary of the heavy surf from the Tasman Sea, their sheer rocks and deceitful undertow. The Piha Beach will be good for visitors who want to sunbath with volcanic black sand or simply have an enjoyable picnic with their companions.
Luxury Lodging in Auckland
The city of Auckland has a wide variety of accommodation facilities to suit luxury travelers. Here are some of the top options:
- Auckland Takapuna Oaks
- Delamore Lodge
- Hilton Auckland Hotel
- Hotel DeBrett
- Langham Hotel Auckland
- Proximity Apartments Manukau
- Quay West Suites Auckland
- SKYCITY Grand Hotel Auckland
- Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harvor
- Stamford Plaza Auckland
Airports In or Nearby Auckland
Interested in a private jet charter to Auckland, New Zealand? Although Auckland currently only has a handful of nearby airports, they are sufficient to facilitate the needs of all private jet passengers:
- Auckland Airport (AKL): This is the largest airport in New Zealand. It handles an average of 15 million passengers a year. The airport is at an elevation of 23 feet above sea level and serves as a hub for Air New Zealand and Virgin Australia. The airport is capable of handling 45 flight movements an hour. It can be used by private aircraft users in addition to handling commercial air traffic. All sizes of aircraft up to the Airbus A380 can be accommodated at the airport.
- Rotorua International Airport (ROT): Rotorua Airport is located around 140 miles away from Auckland in the city of Rotorua. This public airport sits at an elevation of 900 feet above sea level and has two runways measuring 2,100 feet and 770 feet in length. In addition to private aircraft, the airport is also used by Air New Zealand Link and Sunair.
- Hamilton International Airport (HLZ): Located 80 miles away from Auckland, the Hamilton International Airport has an average of 300,000 domestic and 50,000 international passengers using the facility every year. The fact that it’s a small airport makes it ideal for private aircraft users as well. The Hamilton International Airport has four runways, three of which are around 2,400 feet long and one that is 7,200 feet long.
- Tauranga Airport (TRG): Located 130 miles from Auckland, the Tauranga Airport sits at an elevation of 13 feet above sea level. It has one asphalt runway measuring 6,000 feet in length and three grass runways ranging between 2,100 and 3,280 feet in length. It is commonly used by private aircraft users, and all the amenities associated with private aircraft use including aircraft maintenance and repair are provided at the airport.
- Whangarei Airport (WRE): This is a relatively small aerodrome located around 100 miles away from Auckland. It has a single terminal with two gates, and also has two runways measuring 1,500 and 3,600 feet in length. The airport sits at an elevation of around 133 feet above sea level. It has an average of 18,700 aircraft movements a year, and has facilities for private aircraft use, including hangar rentals.
- Ardmore Airport (AMZ): Ardmore Airport is a small airfield located 20 miles away from Auckland. It is designated as a domestic airport and is one of the busiest in the region. Most of the traffic to Ardmore comprises of small private planes. The airport has one 4,600-foot asphalt runway and two 1,700-foot long grass runways. Hangar rentals and aircraft servicing solutions are available at the airport.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Auckland?