About Amsterdam, Netherlands
Amsterdam is the capital city of Netherlands. The city’s name derives from Amstelredamme which indicates its origins as a dam. With a population of more than 825,000, Amsterdam is considered to be an alpha world city as it is one of Europe’s top financial centers. The progressive city enjoys an active nightlife, and has a diverse culture. The city is also known for its many harbors and interconnecting canals which are both a source of recreation and a mode of transportation.
Popular Destinations in Amsterdam
Here are some of the best travel destinations Amsterdam has to offer:
The Van Gogh Museum: Not many artists from the 19th century can be said to have produced works that are even near the artistic brilliance of Vincent van Gogh’s masterpieces. And that is why his works are so special and significant to art enthusiasts around the world. Whether inspired by his remarkable talent or his tragic life, visitors should visit one of the world’s most important art galleries – Van Gogh Museum. The museum has the largest collections of van Gogh’s works, including his 700 letters, 500 drawings and 200 paintings.
The Anne Frank Museum: Located at Prinsengracht, the museum is dedicated to one of the world’s most renowned Holocaust victims. This is the actual home that was the hiding grounds of Anne’s family (they were Jewish refugees from Frankfurt) for much of the Second World War. It was here that Anne wrote the diary that became an international bestseller. Most parts of the home were kept intact to serve as a poignant monument to the tragic period of history.
The Windmills of Kinderdijk: Located at River Noord, the windmills are situated between Dordrecht and Rotterdam in the famous village of Kinderdijk. Here, visitors will get to see well-preserved 18th century windmills up-close. These impressive buildings with their 92-foot sails are usually opened from April to October. It is an added bonus to visit the windmills on Mill days as the sails will be set in motion.
Melkweg: Situated on the street parallel to Chicago Social Club, the big multi-purpose venue has a gallery, restaurant and two main music rooms. The club caters to a wide range of visitors, and feature different music personalities such as techno legends like Bart Skills and the more commercial Porter Robinson. Visitors can also try to go there when their “Breakfast Club” events are on to experience odd-hour clubbing after a warm breakfast.
Canals of Amsterdam: The famous canals were built during the 17th century as an effort to add acres of dry land to the city and control the flow of the Amstel River. Visitors can take a boat ride from any of the city’s 100 canals, and it is a relaxing way to take in the sights of traditional Dutch architecture.
Luxury Lodging in Amsterdam
- Bilderberg Garden Hotel Amsterdam
- De L’Europe
- Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
- Hilton Amsterdam
- Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam
- InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
- Marriott Hotel Amsterdam
- NH Barbizon Palace Hotel Amsterdam
- NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky Amsterdam
- Okura Hotel Amsterdam
- Radisson Blu Hotel Amsterdam Airport
- Renaissance Hotel Amsterdam
- Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
Restaurants in Amsterdam
2 Michelin stars:
Nieuwe Doelenstraat 2, 1012 CP Amsterdam
- Samhoud places:
Oosterdokskade 5, 1011 AD Amsterdam
- Ciel Bleu:
Ferdinand Bolstraat 333, 1072 LH Amsterdam
- Aan de Poel:
Handweg 1, 1185 TS Amstelveen
Hartenlustlaan 2, 2061 HB Bloemendaal
1 Michelin star:
O.Z. Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam
Keizersgracht 384, 1016 GB Amsterdam
Prins Hendrikkade 59, 1012 AD Amsterdam
Geldersekade 29, 1011 EJ Amsterdam
- La Rive:
Prof. Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam
Airports In or Nearby Amsterdam
In need of a private jet charter to Amsterdam, Netherlands? Depending on where you choose to stay in Amsterdam, it is always beneficial to choose an airport that is closest to you. Here are some of prime airports you may consider:
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS): Located 5.6 miles southwest of Amsterdam, this is the main airport serving Amsterdam. The layout of the airport consists of one large terminal and three departure halls. The general aviation section was opened in 2011, and is situated at the east side of the airport. The airport has six runways and one is solely dedicated to general aviation aircraft.
- Eindhoven Airport (EIN): Located 4.6 miles away from Eindhoven and 74 miles away from Amsterdam, this is the second largest airport in the Netherlands. The airport caters both to civilian and military flights. The airport has one runway which is built in the 03/21 direction and has a tarmac surface.
- Gilze Rijen Air Base (GLZ): This is a military airbase that is located between the cities of Tilburg and Breda, and is 21 miles away from the Eindhoven Airport. The airbase has two runways; the longer runway is built in the 10/28 direction and the shorter runway is built in the 02/20 direction. The airbase is also known to be used (not exclusively) as a base for attack helicopters.
- Rotterdam The Hague Airport (RTM): Located 44 miles away from Amsterdam, this is the third largest airport in the Netherlands. In 2013, the airport served over 1.5 million passengers. The airport also schedule flights to other European metropolitan destinations. The airport has a single runway in the 06/24 direction and is made of asphalt surface.
- Weeze Airport (NRN): Located 105 miles away from Amsterdam, the airport began its operations in 2003 and features a single passenger terminal. The apron lies to the west of that terminal building. It has nine aircraft stands that are suitable for mid-sized aircraft.
- De Kooy Airport (DHR): The airport is 3.3 miles south of Den Helder and 58 miles away from Amsterdam. It is named after the hamlet De Kooy which is also close by. It serves as a naval airport (Maritiem Vliegkamp De Kooy) and s also a civilian airport (Den Helder Airport).
- Lelystad Airport (LEY): Since 1973, Lelystad is the biggest general aviation airport in the Netherlands and is currently owned by the Schiphol Group. The airport has two runways; one is built with asphalt and grass for the other. This is located 34 miles away from Amsterdam.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Amsterdam?