About Seoul, South Korea
Seoul is officially known as Seoul Special City and it is the capital of South Korea. The city is well known for the mountains that encompass it, such as Mt. Bukhan which is also the world’s most visited national park. Seoul experiences a humid continental climate and the summers are usually humid and hot. Seoul is a major financial and business hub in South Korea and it is listed by the Global Financial Centers Index as the 6th most competitive city in the world.
Popular Destinations in Seoul
Seoul is a very modern city and offers many artistic and cultural attractions. Here are some of the top destinations in the city to consider:
Gyeongbokgung Palace: This is the largest Joseon-dynasty temple in South Korea and it possesses one of the longest and most documented histories of all of the Korean palaces. The National Folk Museum of Korea is located here and it offers authentic-looking replicas in its early history section. Exhibits in the museum have their own English-translated explanations to ensure that international visitors can access the information easily.
Namsan Tower: Also known as the Seoul Tower, it is a national landmark. The main attractions here include a digital observatory and multi-colored digital art that will be projected onto the tower at night. The tower offers panoramic views and is a highly popular place to unwind. After undergoing a major revamp, it is now a completed cultural site where various performances and exhibitions take place frequently.
Insadong: This is a very popular attraction in Seoul and is the epitome of Korean traditional crafts and culture. Visitors will be able to see traditional clothing and other items such as the hanbok and hanji. There are also more than 90 galleries in the same area that display traditional Korean fine art from sculptures to paintings.
Jongmyo Shrine: The shrine is the oldest among the other preserved Confucian royal shrines and is also the most authentic of all. The shrine was built and dedicated to the forefathers of the Joseon dynasty. Since its existence, the shrine has been able to retain its present form since the 16th century and still houses tablets that bear teachings of past members from the royal family. For a thorough experience, guided tours are available at this destination.
Everland: Notable for beautiful gardens and gorgeous flower arrangements, Everland is South Korea’s largest theme park and is operated by Samsung Group. The park houses more than 40 exhilarating rides and attractions. Safari World is a new addition to the theme park and it features lions, white tigers and bears for added entertainment variety.
Nami Island: The tiny island is situated in the Han River and is known for its enchanting beauty and scenic views. It is also known to be the most picturesque during the winter and autumn seasons. One of the unique sights includes the popular Ginkgo trees turning yellow. This destination has also been cited as a place not to be missed when tourists are visiting Seoul.
Luxury Lodgings in Seoul
There are many lodging options available in Seoul, such as hotels, resorts, and private rentals. These are a few examples:
- Banyan Tree Club & Spa Seoul
- Best Western Premier Guro Hotel
- Coex Intercontinental
- Fraser Place Central Seoul
- Fraser Suites Insadong Seoul
- Grand Ambassador Seoul
- Grand Hyatt Seoul
- Imperial Palace Hotel Seoul
- InterContinental Grand Seoul Parnas
- InterContinental Seoul Coex
- JW Marriott Hotel Seoul
- Lotte Hotel World Seoul
- Mayfield Hotel Seoul
- Millennium Seoul Hilton hotel
- Oakwood Premier Coex Center
- Park Hyatt Seoul
- Seoul Palace Hotel
- Sheraton Grande Walkerhill Seoul
- Sheraton Seoul D-Cube City Hotel
- The Grand Suite Serviced Residence
- The Ritz-Carlton, Seoul
- The Shilla Seoul
- The Westin Chosun Seoul
- Westin Chosun
Airports In Or Nearby Seoul
Interested in chartering a private airplane to Seoul, South Korea? Chartering a private flight to Seoul is easy as there is a variety of airports located in and near the city. Below are the available options:
- Gimpo International Airport (GMP): Located approximately 9 miles away from Seoul’s central district, the airport is operated by Korea Airports Corporation and is open for public use. The airport sits at an elevation of 58 feet above mean sea level and features one asphalt runway (14R/32L) and one concrete runway (14L/32R).
- Wonju Airport (WJU): Located approximately 80 miles away from Seoul, the airport is operated by the Republic of Korea Airforce and Korean Airports Corporation. The airport is mainly used for military aircraft operations but facilitates domestic flights as well. The airport has an elevation of 329 feet above sea level and a single concrete runway in the 03/21 direction.
- Incheon International Airport (ICN): Located 30 miles west of Seoul, the airport is government-owned and is open for public use. The airport sits at an elevation of 23 feet above mean sea level and features three asphalt runways in the 15R/33L, 15L/33R and 16/34 direction. A concrete helipad is also available within the premises.
- Cheongju International Airport (CJJ): Located approximately 85 miles away from Seoul, the airport is operated by Korea Airports Corporation and the Republic of Korea Airforce. It currently handles both international and domestic flights with two concrete runways in the 06R/24L and 06L/24R direction.
- Yangyang International Airport (YNY): Located about 132 miles away from Seoul, the airport has an elevation of 241 feet above mean sea level and is open for public use. The airport also features a single concrete runway that is in the 15/33 direction.
- Suwon Airbase (SWU): Located less than 30 miles from Seoul, the airport is operated by the Republic of Korea Air Force and is open for public and military use. The airport has an elevation of 88 feet above mean sea level and two runways in the 15/33 and 16/34 direction.
- Osan Airbase (OSN): Located less than 40 miles south of Seoul, the airport is owned and controlled by the United States of America. The airport sits at an elevation of 40 feet above sea level and features a single concrete runway in the 09/27 direction.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Seoul?