About Freeport, Bahamas
Freeport is an industrial city situated on Grand Bahama Island, which is the archipelago’s northernmost island. This city is strategically located around 65 miles off the coast of Palm Beach in Florida State and is on the major EW-NS shipping routes. As result, the city has grown tremendously to become a major center for regional and international business. This has seen the region becoming home to a growing list of national and international companies that use it as their main business headquarters.
Popular Destinations in Freeport
Here are some of the city’s top tour destinations and attractions:
The Junkanoo Beach: This is one of the best beaches in Freeport and this beach is most known for its pristine sand and crystal-blue water. There is also a good variety of water sports available at this destination.
UNEXSO: Operated by the Underwater Explorers Society, this facility is conveniently situated in the Port Lucaya Marketplace. It offers a wide variety of water based activities, including diving excursions, dolphin diving and dolphin watching experiences.
Lucayan National Park: The park is world-famous for its many intriguing underwater caves. The 40-acre property is home to dozens of rare flower species as well as thousands of pine trees, ferns and mangroves. This destination’s most interesting spot is the Gold Rock Beach, a secluded site that is well known as a perfect venue to partake in romantic sunset strolls.
Garden of the Groves: Set in a Unite States Wildlife Federation-certified habitat, this 11-acre botanical park is home to thousands of exotic and indigenous wildlife and features a wide variety of lush vegetation.
East End Caves: These caves are one of the world’s largest underwater cave systems. Situated along 52 miles of beaches, these caves are arguably the main attraction to explore while in Freeport. The caves extend over 6 miles and are illuminated by natural skylight.
Semi Submersible Boat: At this attraction, visitors can board a half submerged boat and watch underwater scenery through the many portholes on the lower deck or the open windows that are located at the upper deck.
Luxury Lodging in Freeport
- Memories Grand Bahama Beach Resort
- Old Bahama Bay Resort and Yacht Harbor
- Pelican Bay Resort at Lucaya
- The Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Hotel
- Treasure Chest
Airports In or Nearby Freeport
Interested in a private jet charter to Freeport, Bahamas? Freeport and its surrounding regions have numerous private and public airports that make private jet travel to and from the city convenient. Some of these include:
- Grand Bahama International Airport (FPO): The Grand Bahama International Airport is the main airport serving the town of Freeport. The airport is located just one mile away from downtown Freeport. The Grand Bahama International Airport is a privately owned facility that sits on 300 hectares of land. The airport sits at an elevation of 7 feet above sea level, and has a single asphalt runway measuring 11,000 feet in length.
- South Bimini Airport (BIM): The South Bimini Airport is located around 90 miles away from Freeport. The international airport sits at an altitude of 10 feet above sea level, and has a single asphalt runway measuring 5,500 feet in length. Airlines such as Silver Airways and Western Air use the airport as a hub. With low air traffic, South Bimni Airport is ideal for private and chartered aircraft use.
- Treasure Cay Airport (TCB): Treasure Cay Airport is located in Coopers Town, Bahamas. It’s located around 100 miles away from Freeport. The public airport mainly serves Treasure Cay and Abaco Islands. It sits at an elevation of around 8 feet above sea level, and has a single asphalt runway measuring 7,000 feet in length.
- Palm Beach International Airport (PBI): Palm Beach International Airport is located in Florida, around 120 miles from Freeport. The public airport has three asphalt runways measuring between 3,000 and 10,000 feet in length, and has an average of 150,000 aircraft operations annually. Hangar rentals and aircraft maintenance services are provided by third parties, making it particularly convenient for aircraft users.
- Marsh Harbor Airport (MHH): The Marsh Harbor Airport is located in Marsh Harbor, Bahamas. It’s located around 100 miles from Freeport. The public airport has a single asphalt runway measuring 6,000 feet in length. It features a 51,000-feet terminal which has more than 20 counters, and a modern luggage scanning system. Amenities including restaurants, lounges and retail stores are also available.
- Treasure Cay Airport (TCB): The airport sits at an elevation of around 8 feet above sea level. It has a single asphalt runway designated 14/32 measuring 7000 feet in length. This public airport has a single terminal building.
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL): This airport is located slightly less than 100 miles away from the city of Freeport. It has two asphalt runways measuring 9,000 and 8,000 feet in length, and serves an average of 24 million passengers a year. The airport sits at an elevation of around 9 feet above sea level and has 88 aircraft based there. It records an average of 250,000 aircraft operations a year.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Freeport?